Even though I am a London based portrait photographer, my love for photography takes me to some beautiful places around the world to capture special events such as weddings celebration, corporate and tango events. While I am traveling I can’t resist to explore a new city, new cuisine and new culture and create my own travel photo album.
There is something magical when you get lost on purpose and head out into the unknown. Hence I make sure my Nikon D600 and favourite lens is always with me so I do not miss the great photo oppportunity.
Here are few tricks which I follow in order to achieve more creative pictures from my traveling:
1) I am always looking to photograph the “little things”- keep an eye out for the little details and make them seem larger than in real life.
2) I am not afraid exploring different compositions- look for different angles not just shooting at eye-level. Shoot from the ground up, from above looking down, shoot from the hip. It might be worth to capture a subject from different distances too; wide shot versus clos up. Search for different type of reflections (window, glass, paddle), shadows, patterns or bold colours.
3) I do not get up early but I stay up late to take advantage of the "golden hour"; wonderful soft, defused and warm light...
4) Remember to keep that horizon line straight!
5) No tripod? No worries, find a hard surface or even use your hand luggage, handbag and shoot from there...
6) Who said that photography rules can't be broken? Try it and enjoy more creative shots.
7) I see many beautiful things in an ordinary places, just keep looking around.
Over the years I’ve seen many stunning places. Below you can find a small selection of my favourite images from my voyages.
List of few cities visited so far: Buenos Aires, Sydney, Melbourne, Rome, Paris, NYC, Madrid, Barcelona, Prague, Vienna, Venice, Istanbul, Bruges, Berlin, Frankfurt, Lisbon, Elavon, Tarifa, Oslo, Copenhagen, Marrakesh, Budapest, Paris, Nice, Edinburgh, Brussel, Amsterdam, Rhodes, Santorini, Corfu, Pathos, Limassol, Majorca, Krakow, Wroclaw, Warsaw.... List of places to see is still long,
Always dream BIG!
Magdalena Smolarska Photography
***London & Brighton based Portrait Photographer specialising in portrait for individuals & corporate headshots.